Thursday, June 13, 2013

Sunburst tutorial

I'm a member of a scrapbooking group on yahoo called Scrappin-N-Chattin. Each month we have layout challenges and one of this month's challenges is to use sunbursts.  After discovering that several of my friends didn't know how to make one I decided to do this tutorial.

I started with three coordinating papers from the DCWV Summer Dream stack.

 

Turn all three sheets face down.






I marked where I wanted the photo and embellies to go on the top sheet.


Then draw lines on the top sheet to make the sunburst. I can make the rays as wide or narrow as I want, as many or few as I want. This example is 9 pieces.





Now number each ray.





Holding the sheets together cut one of the rays and add the same number to the pieces.







Once you have all the pieces cut and numbered you can begin to make the sunburst. Below are one each of pieces 5, 4 and 3.


I used three pieces of each color, starting with number 1 on the bottom edge.  This put the photo on the left. I would start with number 1 on the right edge to have the photo on the right. (Or simply turn the page once everything is glued down.)


To make a two color sunburst I can use the even numbered pieces on a sheet of cardstock.


Or the odd numbered pieces on a sheet of cardstock.


Or the even numbered pieces of one color and the odd numbered pieces of another color.





For a three color look with only two colors of paper, I can overlap the rays a little to let a strip of the cardstock show.


I used 14 pieces of one color for this layout (evens only) and this layout (odds only). 

The possibilities are endless with as few colors or as many as I wish, full sheet sunburst or partial sheet. If you make a sunburst please leave a link in the comments so I can visit.


6 comments:

  1. Great tutorial Vicki. Cool you came up with so many ways to make different rays from the same papers. :)
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great tutorial Vicki. I loved seeing the different combinations you came up with. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great tutorial, Vicki! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very good tutorial. Thanks for sharing it with us. Ann .

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME TUTORIAL, Vicki! TFS and have a GREAT Day,
    Me-Ma Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial!!! Thanks for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete